Location: Bay Area or Los Angeles preferred. New York, Chicago, and Denver also considered.
UpStart inspires and empowers leaders to dream, build, and grow bold initiatives that enhance the vitality of Jewish life. Over the last ten years, UpStart has been a leading engine of Jewish innovation, empowering organizations to take risks, develop creative engagement strategies, and maximize the potential of their community-changing ideas.
UpStart is seeking a Communications and Content Manager to inspire our audience and highlight the thousands of UpStart innovators redesigning the experience and expression of Jewish life.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications, the Communications and Content Manager will be part of a dynamic and growing team charting UpStart’s next phase and highlighting the inspiring work of our field. The Communications and Content Manager will also join the UpStart team during an exciting rebrand process that will open up new opportunities for engaging those we serve.
- Write, edit, and produce timely and inspiring digital and print content to engage UpStart’s diverse audiences, and to support program, development, and field-building campaigns.
- Manage UpStart’s editorial calendar and coordinate execution, including brainstorming, drafting, editing and approvals, setup, tracking analytics, and evaluation.
- Support the creation and distribution of UpStart’s thought leadership on the intersection of entrepreneurship, organizational leadership/development, and contemporary Jewish life.
- Identify and execute on opportunities for creative messaging and storytelling.
Platform development and management:
- Implement UpStart’s rebrand across multiple platforms, including the launch of a new website in fall of 2018.
- Regularly update and optimize UpStart’s website, social media, and other platforms.
- Maintain and optimize marketing-related lists, including UpStart’s email and media contact lists, and support implementation of a new data management system.
Program and fundraising support:
- Design visually compelling collateral to support UpStart program and development campaigns.
- Copyedit educational materials designed for UpStart workshops and programs.
- Serve as a resource to UpStart innovators through the facilitation of workshops and coaching, as needed.
Skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent professional experience), 3-5 years of relevant experience producing digital and print content in a Jewish, nonprofit, or entrepreneurial setting.
- Exceptional, compelling writer, whether in a tweet or a journal article; excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Knowledge of the Jewish communal landscape, Jewish issues, and/or the larger field of entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Experience working with creative professionals and vendors in the production of graphic design, video, and printed collateral.
- Experience managing and coordinating multiple projects.
- Experience with website, marketing and design software products including but not limited to MailChimp, WordPress, Canva, and Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, or Illustrator).
- Creative, strategic thinker who applies an audience-centered approach to marketing.
- Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects, and to work both within teams and independently.
- High standards of excellence, including extraordinary organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Creativity, flexibility and comfort working in a fast-paced environment with unanticipated opportunities.
- Adaptable to change, both organizational and technological.
- Passionate about UpStart’s mission and the work of our innovators.
- Committed to UpStart’s values of empathy, optimism, collaboration, and risk-taking.
This is a full-time position. Bay Area or Los Angeles preferred, New York, Chicago, and Denver also considered.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. UpStart is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals are entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws.
To Apply: Please send the following to Careers@upstartlab.org with the subject: UpStart Communications and Content Manager. Include: Resume, writing sample, and a cover letter that communicates why you would be a “fit” for the position.
UpStart inspires and empowers leaders to dream, build, and grow bold initiatives that enhance the vitality of Jewish life. UpStart hosts programs in 13 communities across the country, supporting entrepreneurs and communal leaders looking to generate and nurture community-changing ideas. Since our inception, UpStart has fueled the impact of over 1,300 organizations and trained nearly 3,000 of the Jewish community’s most inspiring leaders.