UpStart inspires and empowers leaders to dream, build, and grow bold initiatives that enhance the vitality of Jewish life. Over the last eighteen years, the UpStart network of programs has been a leading engine of Jewish innovation, empowering organizations to take risks, develop creative engagement strategies, and maximize the potential of their community-changing ideas.
UpStart is seeking a Development Operations Associate to support the organization’s donor development and operations department in Oakland, CA. Reporting to the Senior Director of Networks and Operations, this person will support UpStart’s operations and donor development to ensure organizational success.
- Maintains current donor database and supports assessment and implementation of new system, including:
- Data entry and data cleansing
- Creating and running reports and managing the fundraising goals dashboard
- Contributing to the selection and implementation of a new data management system
- Responsible for the migration of fundraising data to a new system implemented in early 2019
- Supports donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities:
- Writes and sends donor acknowledgements
- Coordinates logistics and liaises with marketing to execute parlor meetings, events, and other fundraising activities
- Identifies and researches prospects for national and regional development
- Works with development team to collect and leverage data to reach fundraising goals
- Prepares materials for donor solicitation meetings and manages data for donor marketing and communications
- Serves as staff liaison to finance team and is primary owner of our fiscal sponsorship program:
- Processes incoming accounts receivable and serves as liaison between staff and finance team for accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Creates and monitors contracts and invoices with consulting clients and community partners
- Serves as primary contact for inquiries and for ventures that are fiscally sponsored by UpStart
- Works with finance team to ensure that fiscal sponsor transactions are correctly processed, and that all earned revenues are tracked appropriately
- Manages the Oakland office
- Liaises with landlord; manages conference space reservations
- Fosters positive office culture by organizing office events and cultural happenings such as celebrating birthdays and anniversaries
- Supports local team with projects and events, as needed
- Manages incoming/outgoing mail and packages
- Sets up all aspects of office and desk area for employees including managing building access, issuing company credit cards, ordering office supplies, etc.
This is an entrepreneurial position with opportunities to invent and create standardized processes as we build out our development operations.
Skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 3+ years of experience in an operations and/or administrative role in a nonprofit or entrepreneurial setting
- Proficient in Salesforce and/or other CRM systems, Google Suite, Microsoft Office, and video conferencing (Zoom)
- Ability to learn new tech platforms and systems quickly
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience managing and coordinating multiple projects
- Experience working with donors a plus
- Passionate about UpStart’s mission and the work of our innovators
- Excited about leveraging the power of data to improve performance
- High standards of excellence, including extraordinary organizational skills and attention to detail
- Adaptable to change, both organizational and technological
- Enjoys working with others and has a customer service attitude
- Committed to UpStart’s values of empathy, optimism, collaboration, and risk-taking
- Positive attitude, high degree of professionalism, diplomacy and tact
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects and tasks, and to work both within teams and independently
- Flexibility and comfort working in a fast-paced environment with unanticipated opportunities
- Strong time management skills, attention to detail, and accuracy
This is a full-time position in the Oakland office.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. UpStart is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals are entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws.
To Apply: Please send the following to Careers@upstartlab.org with the subject: UpStart Development and Operations Associate (Bay Area). Include: Resume and a cover letter that communicates why you would be a “fit” for the position.
UpStart inspires and empowers leaders to dream, build, and grow bold initiatives that enhance the vitality of Jewish life. UpStart hosts programs in 13 communities across the country, supporting entrepreneurs and communal leaders looking to generate and nurture community-changing ideas. Since our inception, UpStart has fueled the impact of over 1,300 organizations and trained nearly 3,000 of the Jewish community’s most inspiring leaders.