UpStart inspires and empowers leaders to dream, build, and grow bold initiatives that enhance the vitality of Jewish life. Over the last eighteen years, the UpStart network of programs has been a leading engine of Jewish innovation, empowering organizations to take risks, develop creative engagement strategies, and maximize the potential of their community-changing ideas.
UpStart is seeking an Operations Associate in New York to support the organization’s operations department. Reporting to the Senior Director of Networks and Operations, this person will support UpStart’s networks, operations, and human resources functions to ensure organizational success.
The Operations Associate will provide key support in the following areas:
- Manage the NY office:
- Liaises with landlord; manages conference space reservations
- Supports local team with projects and events, as needed
- Manages incoming/outgoing mail and packages
- Sets up all aspects of office and desk area for employees, including managing building access, ordering office supplies, etc.
- Fosters positive office culture by organizing office events and cultural happenings such as celebrating birthdays and anniversaries
- Supports people operations:
- Assists in our recruiting process, including posting open positions, monitoring applications, and corresponding with candidates
- Contributes to our onboarding process and welcoming new staff
- Works with our HR team to provide administrative support to our staff and benefits vendors
- Researches and supports policy decisions and represents UpStart at HR learning opportunities (e.g. sexual harassment prevention best practices)
- Coordinates logistics for all staff gatherings
- Supports company culture fostering growth and innovation
- Supports critical knowledge information systems:
- Assists with our data management system development and maintenance
- Supports our file storage redesign, implementation, and maintenance
- Serves as on-staff support specialist for UpStart’s many operational platforms, including videoconferencing, expense reporting, VoIP phone system, etc.
Skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 3+ years of experience in an operations and/or human resources role in a nonprofit or entrepreneurial setting
- Proficient in Google Suite, Microsoft Office, and video conferencing (Zoom)
- Ability to learn new tech platforms and systems quickly
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience managing and coordinating multiple projects
- Experience with talent recruitment and/or management
- Passionate about UpStart’s mission and the work of our innovators
- Committed to UpStart’s values of empathy, optimism, collaboration, and risk-taking
- Exceptional time management skills, attention to detail, and accuracy
- Positive attitude, high degree of professionalism, diplomacy and tact
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects and tasks, and to work both within teams and independently
- High standards of excellence, including extraordinary organizational and researching skills
- Flexibility and comfort working in a fast-paced environment with unanticipated opportunities
- Adaptable to change, both organizational and technological
- Enjoys working and building relationships with colleagues and constituents
This is a full-time position in the New York office.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. UpStart is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals are entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws.
To Apply: Please send the following to Careers@upstartlab.org with the subject: UpStart Operations Associate (NY). Include: Resume and a cover letter that communicates why you would be a “fit” for the position.
UpStart inspires and empowers leaders to dream, build, and grow bold initiatives that enhance the vitality of Jewish life. UpStart hosts programs in 13 communities across the country, supporting entrepreneurs and communal leaders looking to generate and nurture community-changing ideas. Since our inception, UpStart has fueled the impact of over 1,300 organizations and trained nearly 3,000 of the Jewish community’s most inspiring leaders.