Location: Bay Area
UpStart believes that when trailblazing leaders have a committed partner, the fire of our tradition burns brighter. Every day, we partner with our network of bold leaders to expand the picture of how Jews find meaning and how we come together. UpStart fuels and amplifies their powerful ideas, providing them with the lab, launchpad, and support system they need to build a better tomorrow.
UpStart is seeking a Chief Financial and Operating Officer in the Bay Area to manage the organization’s accounting, finance, people, and systems functions. Reporting to the CEO, this role will primarily be accountable for UpStart’s financial operations, including the development of a financial strategy and ongoing management of control systems to ensure accurate reporting and risk mitigation.
- Develop and implement the financial and operational strategy for the organization
- Work closely with members of the Leadership Team and continuously collaborate on financial efficacy of programs
- Help to clarify roles and responsibilities of team members
- Work directly with the Board finance and audit committees
- Manage the accounting and finance operations of the organization
- Manage project/program and grants accounting, ensuring expenditures are accurately aligned with budgets
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for all accounting transactions
- Create and prepare financial statements and reports including presentations at Board meetings
- Manage and effectively communicate the annual budgets and forecasts
- Consistently analyze financial data
- Manage and monitor cash flow and forecasts
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Manage the Audit
- Oversee contracted firm to ensure:
- Timeliness of accounts payables and receivables
- Management of the payroll functions including compliance with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Accurate and timely bank reconciliations
- Maintained chart of accounts
- Maintained banking relationships
- Oversee the Senior Director, People & Systems and related portfolio, including:
- General & Systems Operations
- Systems, policies, processes, and protocols, including IT and data management.
- People Operations
- Goals, performance management, professional development, and team experiences.
- General & Systems Operations
Skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required, in accounting or business administration preferred, CPA also preferred
- Experience as a controller and/or head of operations role in a nonprofit or entrepreneurial setting
- Experience partnering with an executive team
- Experience working closely with a Board of Directors
- Proficient in Google Suite and Microsoft Office
- Ability to learn new tech platforms and systems quickly
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Passionate about UpStart’s mission and the work of our innovators
- Committed to UpStart’s values of empathy, optimism, collaboration, and risk-taking
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and effective at communicating information and data
- Positive attitude, high degree of integrity and credibility
- Keen analytic and problem-solving skills
- Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects and tasks, and to work both within teams and independently
This is a full-time position in the Oakland, CA office.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. UpStart is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals are entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws.
To Apply: Please send the following to Careers@upstartlab.org with the subject: UpStart CFO. Include: Resume and a cover letter that communicates why you would be a “fit” for the position.