Job Posting: Major Gifts Officer
Location: Bay Area
UpStart’s mission is to inspire and empower leaders to dream, build, and grow bold initiatives that enhance the vitality of Jewish life.
UpStart is at a pivotal and exciting moment in its history, with the recent completion of a merger with partners Bikkurim, Joshua Venture Group, and the US Programs of PresenTense. We have brought together the best of these four organizations’ experience, intellectual capital, networks, and resources. We are now embarking upon an exciting journey of engaging the community with our bold vision supporting Jewish communities to be thriving hubs of innovation creating a more just, vibrant, and inclusive Jewish future.
We are seeking an eager self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment and is passionate about playing a key role in forming the Jewish future. As a key member of a growing team, this role will play a critical role in the organization and with its many stakeholders.
The UpStart Major Gifts Officer is a full-time exempt position based in San Francisco. This position reports to the Chief Advancement and Operations Officer with a dotted line to the CEO.
UpStart is based in San Francisco, with offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Denver, and New York. UpStart hosts programs in more than a dozen communities across the country, supporting entrepreneurs, intrapreneurs, and communal leaders looking to generate and nurture community-changing ideas. Since our inception, UpStart and our merging partners have fueled the impact of over 1,300 organizations and trained nearly 3,000 of the Jewish community’s most inspiring leaders.
Overview of Responsibilities
Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer, the Major Gift Officer will manage a fundraising portfolio with the goal of stewarding and soliciting current donors at all levels, cultivating and soliciting gifts at the $10K+ level.
The primary focus area will be the Bay Area market, and engagement with other key communities will be included.
The MGO will execute targeted fundraising to achieve defined goals, identify and cultivate donors and implement targeted solicitation strategies designed to increase the donor base and close gifts.
Travel to UpStart Hub Cities (LA, Chicago, Denver, NY) and some other travel for conferences may be required.
- Create and manage major gift prospect identification, solicitation and stewardship for donors and prospects in the Bay Area.
- Prospect, develop and grow UpStart’s donor base of individuals and family foundations capable of giving $10,000 or more.
- Set solicitations plans with, and activate senior leadership including CEO, Chief Advancement Officer, and volunteer leadership.
- Partner with professional and volunteer leaders for solicitations by providing donor research, dossiers of prospects, and customized promotional materials.
- Create, document and ensure the implementation of customized cultivation and stewardship plans for major gift prospects.
- Coordination and management of UpStart Local Advisory Board in the Bay Area.
- Work closely as a team player with the development team to achieve annual development goals.
The ideal candidate will:
- Thrive in a culture of ownership and initiative and be passionate about the mission of the organization.
- Have a minimum of 3-5 years of work experience, in development or philanthropy;
- Have experience managing a portfolio of Major Gift-level donors;
- Have stellar oral and written communication skills, including experience writing compellingly for different types of audiences;
- Understand the importance of, and be fluent in, the art of presentation;
- Have a passion for relationship-building and working collaboratively;
- Be extremely detail-oriented, able to multitask, highly motivated, and able to function under pressure in a fast-paced environment to meet deadlines;
- Be a proactive self-starter able to adapt to changing needs and to manage several projects concurrently while maintaining a high level of quality;
- Be able to exercise excellent judgment, decorum, confidentiality, and diplomacy in all interactions;
Salary and benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and benefits include medical, dental, 401k, vacation, sick leave, Jewish and secular holidays. UpStart believes that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws. Ability to travel required.
To Apply: Send a resume with a cover letter that communicates why you would be a “fit” for the position to Careers@upstartlab.org with the subject: UpStart Major Gifts Officer.