UpStart partners with innovators to redesign the experience and expression of Jewish life. UpStart is at a pivotal and exciting moment in its history, with the pending completion of a merger with partners Bikkurim, Joshua Venture Group, and the US Programs of PresenTense. This creates a huge opportunity to bring together the best of these four organizations’ experience, intellectual capital, networks, and resources. Over the next year, we will be engaging in a holistic strategic planning process, which will result in a new business plan and fundraising strategy.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, talented writer and communicator who is eager to learn about many aspects of development. As a key member of a small team, this role will contribute to all aspects of a diverse development strategy.
The UpStart Development Associate is a full-time exempt position based in New York City that contributes to UpStart’s national development as well as fundraising on a local level. This position reports to the Chief Advancement and Operations Officer, also located in the New York City office.
UpStart partners with innovators to redesign the experience and expression of Jewish life. We recently announced a merger, creating a one-stop resource for nurturing Jewish innovation nationwide. UpStart now hosts programs in 13 communities across the country, supporting entrepreneurs and communal leaders looking to generate and nurture community-changing ideas. Since our inception, UpStart and our merging partners have fueled the impact of over 1,300 organizations and trained nearly 3,000 of the Jewish community’s most inspiring leaders.
Overview of Responsibilities
Individual Donor Cultivation
- Manage prospect research and donor database with precision;
- Produce, edit, and adapt funder collateral (in partnership with marketing team);
- Write acknowledgment letters and ongoing communications;
- Support staff in local hubs with the coordination and creation of UpStart Local Advisory Boards (U-LABs).
Foundation Fundraising Support
- Assist in the cultivation and stewardship of foundation relationships;
- Manage grant proposal and reporting schedule;
- Write grant reports and proposals, in close partnership with staff;
- Support the UpStart Philanthropic Advisory Council and funder convenings.
Event management and sponsorship
- Coordinate details for funder events, including community events and a track for funders at our flagship annual convening, The Collaboratory;
- Assist in recruiting sponsors and stewarding partners for The Collaboratory.
- Support the Board of Directors in their development efforts;
- Create an archive of the legacy organizations’ development history;
- Contribute to development coaching and support for our innovators.
The ideal Development Associate will:
- Have a minimum of 2-3 years of work experience, preferably in development or philanthropy;
- Have stellar oral and written communication skills, including experience writing compellingly for different types of audiences;
- Understand the importance of, and be fluent in, the art of presentation;
- Have a passion for relationship-building and working collaboratively;
- Be extremely detail-oriented, able to multi-task, highly motivated, and able to function under pressure in a fast-paced environment to meet deadlines;
- Be a proactive self-starter able to adapt to changing needs and to manage several projects concurrently while maintaining a high level of quality;
- Be able to exercise excellent judgment, decorum, confidentiality, and diplomacy in all interactions;
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office, Salesforce, and G Suite.
Salary and benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and benefits include medical, dental, vacation, sick leave, Jewish and secular holidays. UpStart believes that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws. Ability to travel required.
To Apply: Send a resume with a cover letter that communicates why you would be a “fit” for the position to Careers@upstartlab.org with the subject: UpStart Development Associate.