UpStart partners with the Jewish community’s boldest leaders to expand the picture of how Jews find meaning and how we come together. Whether someone is starting a new venture, or reimagining what an existing one has to offer, UpStart gives them the entrepreneurial tools and network they need to build the Jewish community of the future.
We are seeking a talented leader, facilitator, and relationship builder to manage UpStart’s transformative programs for social entrepreneurs and their ventures. The Innovation Lead, Entrepreneurs & Ventures (IL-EV) will oversee the delivery of best-in-class programs targeted to the needs of social entrepreneurs for each age and stage of organizational development. The IL-EV’s primary focus will be on the successful implementation of the Venture Accelerator, UpStart’s flagship program that elevates groundbreaking Jewish ventures to their next stage of growth. The IL-EV will also lead a range of other programs supporting early and later stage startup organizations, including alumni of UpStart programs.
The IL-EV is a full-time exempt position ideally based in the Bay Area, but could also be based in any of UpStart’s hub regions (NY, LA, Chicago, Denver/Boulder). This position reports to the Senior Director of Design Strategy, partners with UpStart’s regional and national Innovation Leads, and supervises the Program Associate to design and deliver our portfolio of offerings for entrepreneurs and ventures.
Manage the successful design and delivery of UpStart’s programs for each age and stage of organizational development for entrepreneurs and ventures – including the Venture Accelerator (75%) and early stage entrepreneur “sprints” and alumni programs (25%).
Venture Accelerator (75%)
- Manage the recruitment and selection process for the Venture Accelerator, building a pipeline of potential entrepreneurs who best align with application criteria.
- Manage the UpStart Venture Accelerator program including use of the UpStart Needs Assessment / CORE outcome process, site visits, cohort gatherings, access to mentorship, the grant process, and emerging service pathways.
- Support the management of the coaching process, and provide coaching support to entrepreneurs in the core areas of running, growing, and scaling programs & ventures.
- Support the delivery of regional showcase opportunities that highlight current Accelerator participants to relevant stakeholders and community members.
- Support the formative and summative evaluation process for the Accelerator utilizing the UpStart Needs Assessment and CORE Outcomes processes.
- Design and lead programming for the Accelerator organizations at the Collaboratory, the largest annual gathering of Jewish community visionaries, activists, and catalyzers of change in North America, led in partnership by UpStart and ROI Community.
- Manage the Program Associate responsible for all administrative tasks associated with the Entrepreneurs & Ventures programs – including the Ask UpStart process, grant distribution, and direct communications with participants.
Early and later stage programs for Entrepreneurs & Ventures (25%)
- Manage the recruitment and selection process for Entrepreneur Sprints, building the capacity of early stage nonprofit startups through workshops, coaching, and grants, as well as network-building.
- Design and manage the Entrepreneur Sprints program components including the use of the UpStart Needs Assessment, evaluation, and curriculum.
- Partner with regional Innovation Leads to deliver programs for entrepreneurs & ventures in their hub communities, including engaging UpStart alumni.
Skills and Attributes
- A passion for UpStart’s mission to dream, build, and grow bold initiatives that enhance the vitality of Jewish life.
- Foundational experience with the majority of the following, with deep experience in at least one area: business or nonprofit strategy, leadership and management best practices, business model development, human-centered design, entrepreneurship, marketing, finance, governance, fundraising, and building a sustainable enterprise.
- Experience mentoring or coaching others in a business or nonprofit context, including mastery of the hard and soft skills associated with the work.
- Front line experience in business and/or the nonprofit world designing, building, and leading programs and/or organizations.
- Excellent people, communication, time, and project management skills.
- Access to Jewish networks, and understanding of the national Jewish ecosystem.
- Comfort with, and a successful track record of, managing and leading immersive and engaging educational programs.
- Ability to adapt with resourcefulness, flexibility, and a positive attitude in an entrepreneurial culture.
- Exhibit a high degree of professionalism and emotional intelligence
- 7+ years experience in the entrepreneurship or non-profit space, or 5+ years experience with an MBA or related graduate degree
Salary and benefits
Compensation is commensurate with experience. UpStart is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals are entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws.
To Apply: Send a resume with a cover letter that communicates why you would be a “fit” for the position to email@example.com with the subject: UpStart Innovation Lead, E&V.