DEVELOPMENT OPERATIONS MANAGER
Maintaining a strong fundraising operational infrastructure is critical for any venture’s success. UpStart is seeking a Development Operations Manager to play a key role in a small and versatile team by laying the groundwork for strong development operations. As lead administrator for all organizational fundraising work, this person will support donor/funder cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities; oversee donor communications, data management, and reporting; and facilitate cross-departmental collaboration and project management as they relate to fundraising. They will also hold independent fundraising responsibilities for a small portfolio of current individual donors who need to be stewarded and solicited each year.
This position reports to the Director, Institutional Giving & Funder Relations and partners closely across teams (Development, Brand Strategy, Program, and People & Systems).
We are open to applicants from all locations throughout the US and currently have hubs in the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago, and New York City. Due to COVID-19, all UpStart staff have been working remotely since March 2020. As the world begins to open back up, we have a very flexible office policy and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
- Manage renewals and upgrade process for a small portfolio of current donors (approximately 60)
- Implement all stewardship and cultivation strategies to engage donors
- Prepare materials and research for donor meetings and manage data for donor marketing and communications
- Research donor & foundation prospects, strategies, virtual fundraising, etc.
- Coordinate with Chief Executive Officer on management of Revenue Committee
- Support Development Team by collecting data for grant proposals and reports
Marketing and Communications
- Co-create donor prospecting and stewardship plan with Brand Strategy, keeping track of all deadlines and work plans
- Write and distribute content for funders, donors, and prospects, including donor acknowledgement letters, development collateral, funder correspondence, emails, and invitation copy
- Draft donor- and prospect-facing content for the website
- Manage donor prospects and current donor lists for communication and collateral purposes
- Serve as “owner” of various cross-departmental fundraising projects, responsible for coordinating all parties working on the effort. Project examples include events, meetings, campaigns, communications, and collateral
- Create and manage event work plans, track deadlines, and hold team members accountable
- Serve as Development liaison on the Metrics and Evaluation team
- Other development and operational support as needed
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience working on a small team in a role dealing with development, administrative support, or project management
- A proactive self-starter who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and can easily adapt to changing needs
- Resourceful, deadline-oriented, and a quick study
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Enjoys working with others and has a customer-service-oriented attitude
- High degree of professionalism, diplomacy, and tact
- Strong time management skills, attention to detail, and accuracy
- Able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously with poise and results
- Enthusiasm for UpStart’s mission and the work of UpStart’s network
- Committed to UpStart’s values of empathy, optimism, collaboration, and risk-taking
- Someone with an entrepreneurial spirit who loves solving problems and navigating obstacles
- Committed to integrating a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens to every piece of their work
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Familiarity with Salesforce and/or other CRM systems, Google Suite, Microsoft Office, and video conferencing
- Experience working directly with donors
- Understanding of the power of managing up and ability to apply that to work
- Excitement about leveraging the power of data to improve fundraising performance
- Someone looking to develop their career in a fundraising setting
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is from $62,000 – 70,000, depending on experience. In addition to salary, UpStart offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, matching 401K, FSA, and an annual professional development stipend. We value the time you spend outside the office as much as we value the time you spend with us, and so, our flexible scheduling and vacation policies enable you to hold both.
UpStart strives to model our vision of a just, vibrant, and inclusive future. UpStart strongly encourages applications from individuals with varied identities and backgrounds, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA people, and people who come from low income or working class backgrounds. As an equal opportunity employer, all individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume, along with a thoughtful cover letter (limited to one page), to our hiring team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT TO EXPECT
At UpStart, our Team Philosophy is to Dream with Purpose, Build the ‘What Might Be’, and Grow the Good. This philosophy underpins how we work – and how we work together. For more about UpStart’s organizational culture, check out our culture deck.
We will be openly recruiting for this position until it is filled. We will directly follow up with candidates who have advanced to our first interview round. Candidates who have been selected to advance to an initial call will be contacted directly. Due to the volume of applicants, we are unable to contact each applicant, but we still recognize and value the time and effort you’ve taken to submit your application.
Our internal process from submission to offer will look as follows:
- A preliminary call will be scheduled with our internal recruiter.
- Candidates who advance to the first interview will meet with the Hiring Manager.
- Candidates who advance to a second round will complete an experiential assignment in advance of interviewing with the Program team (which is the third round).
- Finalists will participate in a third-round interview with the Hiring Manager. References will be requested of all finalists in advance of this final meeting. Finalists will participate in a third-round interview with the Hiring Manager. References will be requested of all finalists in advance of this final meeting.